Posts Tagged traditional farm buildings

Slum to Studio

At Cold Harbour Farm we are blessed with a unique set of farm buildings which are still in use today. Our family has been farming here since 1889 so we have some knowledge of the uses of the buildings during that time.

The building on the South West corner was originally used as a saddle store and `slum`. The farm workmen would all board with the Foremans wife in the house next to the farmhouse. They all slept in the lads bedroom which has a separate staircase leading directly from the large kitchen/living room. When we restored the house the wooden staircase was well worn by the passage of workmen in their boots and we had to renew the steps.

Although the men lived in the house there was nowhere for them to sit in the evening after they had finished their meal. If they were not working they would spend their nights in the slum sitting in decrepit arm chairs or on a settle there. There was a fireplace, but with 2 outside walls, a door and a window I doubt it ever got very snug in there.

By the door there are several carved initials. 

AA was Alf Adamson who worked with us as fifth lad. This was a junior role so he would come last in the hierarchy and sit at the bottom of the dining table, at the opposite end to the foreman. He would also have the worst horses to work with. He played in the village cricket team while he was with us and would always have a bath in the horse water trough before playing a match.

 

Image

Tommy Waslin also carved his initials. These are dated 1946. The junior men would probably only stay a year before moving to another farm for a more senior position.

ImageThis building has not been renovated on the inside and the remains of the chimney can still be seen.

It is now used as a stone carving studio by Peter Brown, the first artist to move into the farm buildings.

Image

 

Advertisements

Leave a Comment