Posts Tagged Yorkshire Wolds

Slum to Studio

At Cold Harbour Farm we are blessed with a unique set of farm buildings which are still in use today. Our family has been farming here since 1889 so we have some knowledge of the uses of the buildings during that time.

The building on the South West corner was originally used as a saddle store and `slum`. The farm workmen would all board with the Foremans wife in the house next to the farmhouse. They all slept in the lads bedroom which has a separate staircase leading directly from the large kitchen/living room. When we restored the house the wooden staircase was well worn by the passage of workmen in their boots and we had to renew the steps.

Although the men lived in the house there was nowhere for them to sit in the evening after they had finished their meal. If they were not working they would spend their nights in the slum sitting in decrepit arm chairs or on a settle there. There was a fireplace, but with 2 outside walls, a door and a window I doubt it ever got very snug in there.

By the door there are several carved initials. 

AA was Alf Adamson who worked with us as fifth lad. This was a junior role so he would come last in the hierarchy and sit at the bottom of the dining table, at the opposite end to the foreman. He would also have the worst horses to work with. He played in the village cricket team while he was with us and would always have a bath in the horse water trough before playing a match.

 

Image

Tommy Waslin also carved his initials. These are dated 1946. The junior men would probably only stay a year before moving to another farm for a more senior position.

ImageThis building has not been renovated on the inside and the remains of the chimney can still be seen.

It is now used as a stone carving studio by Peter Brown, the first artist to move into the farm buildings.

Image

 

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Cold Harbour Farm A Timeline

Cold Harbour Farm                  A Timeline

1086                Bishop Burton mentioned in the Domesday book

1680                The first Dunning is mentioned in the parish records

1769                Enclosures started in the Parish

1815                The corn laws were passed. Grain imports were heavily taxed so the price of grain rises.

1825                Thomas Almack was the tenant at Cold Harbour farm

1846                Repeal of the corn laws. The price of grain falls

1849                John Ward Chatterton was tenant, he committed suicide in 1856.

1858                Mrs Chatterton carried on the tenancy and married Francis Johnson of Skirlaugh

1861                25 people lived in Cold Harbour Farmhouse

1864                Francis Johnson suffered a fire, one of several due to social unrest caused by low wages, high prices, and the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834

1884                New farm buildings built

1887                Daniel Dunning becomes tenant of Cold Harbour

1921                Edgar Dunning becomes tenant at Cold Harbour

1942                John Dunning returns from WWII to take over from his father

1951                Mains water laid on to the farm

1952                Started milking 20 Ayrshire heifers

1954                Pig unit started with 20 sows

1959                Purchased first tractor driven combine harvester

1965                Bought Cold Harbour Farm from the Bishop Burton estate for £75 per acre

1968                Programme of tree planting started  

1983                Paul and Heather join the farm partnership

1984                The roadside plantation was blown down by a January gale. A shed roof ended up in a field

2001                Foot and Mouth disease outbreak. No animal movements were allowed.

2007                First artist arrives at Calf House Studios

2008                Dairy herd sold.Image,

Leave a Comment